On the bottom of the Ancient Earth application is the Geologic Time Scale control. This control defines what map is displayed on the globe.
The control consists of several parts:
- Breadcrumb/Copyright - Shows a breadcrumb of the current geologic age
- Numeric Age - shows the selected age in millions of years
- Time Scale - shows the geological time scale and is the primary control for the map display
- Map Marker - a series of small black triangles in the Time Scale showing the ages of available maps
- Current Age Marker - a white triangular marker showing the currently selected age
There are several methods to change the age of the map display:
- Drag the time scale to the left will increase the age
- Drag the time scale to the right will descrease the age
- Double-tap the time scale to the right of the current age marker will choose the next older map
- Double-tap the time scale to the left of the current age marker will choose the next younger map
NOTE: The time scale will always snap to the nearest available map
The time scale control can also be changed depending on your needs
- Using the pinch motion within the time scale control will magnify the time scale. A closing pinch motion will zoom out, whereas a opening pinch motion will zoom in.
- The time scale can also be dragged up and down. Dragging down will show the time scale with less detail and dragging up will show more detail, such as stages.